top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Am I eligible for treatment Services?
    The program provides services to English and Spanish speaking men and women, 18 years of age and older who are struggling with opiate, alcohol and/or cocaine use and/or who have other substance use and/or mental health issues. Even if you have previously received services from CASA or another provider you may still be eligible for admission once an initial review is completed.
  • Where are you located and how do I get there?
    New Haven: MAAS, 426 East Street Bridgeport: Casa Hostos, 690 Arctic Street Project Courage, 592 Kossuth Street Recovery House, 1124 Iranistan Noble House, 140 Noble Ave Areyto Apartment, 665 Arctic Street Administration, 1124 Iranistan Ave All of our current locations can be reached by the CT Transit system. CT Transit provides local and express bus services in the greater New Haven and Bridgeport metro area.
  • How do I get into treatment?
    In most cases treatment services are available for immediate admission. All of our clinical sites have an intake coordinator and outreach workers for all individuals seeking treatment. Walk-ins and phone calls are welcomed. Individuals are processed on a first come first serve basis during clinic hours. Those individuals seeking treatment will complete a 1:1 intake-evaluation with a credentialed clinician, lasting up to 1 hour. Upon completion of the evaluation and a review of the assessment tools, those who are identified during their intake-evaluation as being opiate dependent will be referred to outpatient medication assisted treatment services. Those Spanish speaking individuals who are identified as needing a residential level of care, will be referred to Casa Hostos. Those women in Bridgeport who are identified as needing outpatient services will be referred to Project Courage Women’s Intensive Out Patient Program.
  • How do I pay for my treatment?
    CASA will work with anyone regardless of their ability to pay for treatment. Medicaid and the private insurance carrier, Anthem Blue Cross is accepted. If you are uninsured or underinsured, CASA will work with you to assist you in obtaining public insurance or provide you care at a substantially reduced-cost (sliding scale payment policy) for those who qualify. Medicare is also accepted.
  • What is Outpatient Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT)?
    Medication Assisted Treatment is the use of medications along with counseling and other therapies, to help individuals to stop using illicit drugs, avoid withdrawal, prevent overdoses and live a stable life. The most common medications used for MAT are methadone, buprenorphine and naltrexone. Methadone and buprenorphine both suppress opioid withdrawal and reduce cravings by acting on the opioid receptors in the brain, without producing euphoria. At the right dose, individuals do not experience a high from these medications and can avoid withdrawal symptoms and cravings to help individuals change their lives for the better. For people with severe opioid dependence, these medications may be prescribed for a period of years to help stabilize and support the person making changes in other life areas.
  • How long does treatment usually last?
    Everyone is different when it comes to how you progress in treatment, so there is no specific length of treatment assigned to anyone. However, research shows that the longer you stay in treatment the more success you’ll have in your recovery.
bottom of page